In 2019, we had our first Roger Null Intern, Matt Ridings. He had a great experience working with Old Warson CC, Algonquin GC, The Quarry and MAGA. We are in search of a candidate for the 2020 season; unfortunately, we have not received one resume to fill the internship. The 2020 intern will work with St. Louis CC, Norwood Hills CC and Forest Park GC while also spending time with MAGA conducting our championships and USGA qualifying rounds.
If you have anyone in mind who could be a potential candidate for this season, please share with them the job description found below. This is a wonderful collaborative effort between MAGA and the MVGCSA that we got off the ground in 2019 and want to continue into the future. It is a unique opportunity for a student to gain experience with multiple facilities and MAGA.
2020 Roger Null Internship Job Description
POSITION TITLE: Roger Null Intern
REPORTS TO: MAGA Executive Director and MVGCSA Superintendent(s) WORKS WITH: MAGA Staff; MVGCSA Superintendent(s) and their Staffs STATUS: 3-month Full-Time Internship
APPROXIMATE DATES: May 15 – August 15
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Metropolitan Amateur Golf Association (MAGA), in cooperation with the Mississippi Valley Golf Course Superintendents Association (MVGCSA), are seeking candidates interested in a career in the golf industry. Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic individuals with a strong knowledge of the game of golf and a focused desire to pursue their goals and problem-solving skills within the golf industry. MAGA and the MVGCSA are located in St. Louis, Missouri.
Working under the direction of MAGA and the MVGCSA, the intern will be exposed to several disciplines in the golf industry. Included with MAGA, the intern will be directly involved in conducting MAGA championships and USGA qualifying rounds in the St. Louis area. In regard to MVGCSA involvement, the intern will participate in specific facets of golf course management and maintenance at select private and public St. Louis area courses. The intern will also have the opportunity to spend time with Roger Null during the internship period.
PARTICIPATING COURSES in 2020:
St. Louis Country Club: A 1914 Charles Blair McDonald designed course in St. Louis County, St. Louis CC is a private, bentgrass fairway facility that hosted the 1947 U.S. Open, 2012 Curtis Cup and several men’s and women’s USGA Amateur Championships. Tim Burch has been the superintendent at St. Louis CC for 17 years.
Norwood Hills Country Club: Norwood Hills CC is a 36-hole private club located in north St. Louis county. Norwood hosted the 1948 PGA Championship won by Ben Hogan, the 2011 U.S. Senior Amateur Championship and 2018 U.S. Women’s Mid- Amateur Championship. They recently announced a 4-year deal to host a PGA Tour Champions event beginning in 2020.
The intern namesake, Roger Null, was the superintendent here in the 1980’s and his nephew, Mike Null has been the
superintendent since 2002.
Forest Park Golf Course: Forest Park is located in St. Louis City within Forest Park, one of the largest city parks in the country. This 27-hole facility was completely renovated by Hale Irwin in 2004. Forest Park is one of, if not, the busiest courses in the St. Louis area. They annually host the St. Louis City Championship and Publinx Open. Chad Carpenter is the superintendent at Forest Park and has been with the club since 1996 and is a Regional Superintendent for Arcis Golf who manages Forest Park GC.
ROGER NULL BIO: Roger Null was born in Le Mars, IA in a golfing family. He attended Iowa State University, after which he completed stints as Golf Course Superintendent at The Arsenal Club (Rock Island, IL), Cedar Rapids CC (Cedar Rapids, IA), Old Warson CC (St. Louis, MO) and Norwood Hills CC (St. Louis, MO). Roger has performed consulting work for many golf courses in St. Louis and the Midwest, including Boone Valley GC near St. Louis, where he also served as General Manager.
Roger is a very accomplished player, competing in local and national amateur events throughout his career. He has captured the GCSAA National championship three times, and qualified for several USGA championships, including four U.S. Amateurs.
Roger continues to be active and remains in touch with all facets of the industry. Roger has been instrumental in bringing some of St. Louis’ finest superintendents to this area and placing many Assistants and Superintendents in jobs throughout the country.
Roger Null Internship Job Description Page 2
- Maintain a productive working relationship will all MAGA and MVGCSA Staff and Volunteers
- Support MAGA Staff with course setup and administration of select MAGA Championship and USGA Qualifying Rounds
- Support MAGA Staff with assignments as requested
- Participate in cultural practices at select private and public golf facilities to include: mowing, watering, aerating, and
- Involvement with proper and timely turf fertilization utilizing both granular and liquids, including all calibrations
- Proper and timely spraying of weeds, insects and diseases (IPM)
- Understanding basic irrigation systemscheduling and operations
- Ability to live in the Metropolitan St. Louis region during the internship
- Participate in staff projects that may be outside primary responsibilities
- College graduate or attending a 4-year university
- Turf or Administrative golf background
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff, volunteers, golf course staff
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Exceptional organizational skills with strongattention to detail
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and ability tomulti-task
- Leadership and administrative skills combined with strong work ethic and willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and adhere to deadlines
- Ability to identify and resolve problems efficiently
- Ability to work weekends
- The applicant must be willing to travel throughout Metropolitan Louis and Central Illinois
- Must have reliable transportation
- Lifting and carrying equipment up to 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Work outside in extreme weather and temperatures with direct sun exposure
- Use of hands with computer data entry, phone assignments, collating materials,
- Ability to hear and to see both short and long distances
- Must be able to operate a golf cart
$3,000 per month (hourly employee), based on 40 hours per week. Staff Apparel provided
Interested applicants should email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Metropolitan Amateur Golf Association 2020 Roger Null Internship
11724 Lackland Industrial Drive
St. Louis, MO 63146