Position Title: Director of Agronomy
Date of Notice: July 18, 2019
Job Location: The Country Club of St. Albans, St. Albans, MO (St. Louis Metro)
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date: Until Filled
Send Applications to: Morgan Gonzales, General Manager via email to
Property Description: The Country Club of St. Albans is a Full-Service Private Club with a Clubhouse, Casual and Formal Dining, Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms, Pool, Tennis, and two distinctive 18-hole courses to appease all levels of players... Lewis & Clark and Tavern Creek. Course planners utilized the natural creeks, gentle slopes and dramatic terrain changes to craft the courses and to add definition to each hole. Both courses are appropriately ranked in the Top 10 Courses in Missouri by Golf Digest.
Lewis and Clark Course: Created first in honor of the legendary explorers, the 18-hole, par 72 Lewis and Clark Course was crafted by the highly acclaimed design team of Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish. The Lewis and Clark Course has played host to an impressive array of tournaments since its opening in 1992, including the Metro Amateur Golf Championships, the Missouri Women's Amateur Golf Championship, the Missouri State Amateur Golf Championships, the prestigious Missouri Cup Matches, the St. Louis Men’s District Championship, the USGA Men's State Team Championship, the USGA US Open Sectional Qualifier, and the 2017 Girls and Boys Junior PGA Championships.
Tavern Creek Course: Opened in 1997, the par 71 Tavern Creek Course spans 160 exquisite acres and was designed by famed course architects Dr. Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry. Picturesque, rock-lined creeks present dramatic holes around every bend, and twelve of the eighteen holes involve uniquely challenging play around creeks, streams or ponds. To remind golfers of the rich historical significance surrounding the grounds they play on, five fully preserved Civil War-era graves are nestled throughout the course.
The Director of Agronomy should be a proven leader in the industry who will work closely with the two Golf Course Superintendents in the planning and implementing of the budget, developing and implementing the operating and agronomic plans, as well as the hiring, training and supervision of the maintenance team all while being constantly focused on providing consistently high-quality conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and direct all operations of the grounds department and all members of the Turf Maintenance Team; including: two Superintendents, Equipment Manager, Horticulturalist / Irrigation Technician and two foremen.
- Develop the annual maintenance budget and operating plan. Implement the plan according to Company operating policies and procedures to ensure cost containment.
- Plan and implement staffing schedules to ensure quality standards are achieved at minimum employee cost.
- Maintain the golf course in proper playing condition according to Company standards.
- Develop and maintain drainage, irrigation, pumping and water reservoir systems.
- Supervise all planting, fertilizing and care of turf, plants, shrubs, and trees on the golf course and grounds. Develop and implement a fertilizer, aeration and Integrated Pest Management program for proper turf grass and plant care.
- Supervise course construction projects.
- Supervise equipment maintenance and repair operations. Establish and implement a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, vehicles, etc.
- Ensure maintenance of all appropriate quality and cleanliness standards including, but not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas, receiving areas, washing areas, lunch room areas, restrooms, etc.
- Implement and monitor the purchase ordering and receiving program to maintain proper inventories of supplies and ensure proper quantity and price on all purchases.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, public safety, etc.
- Manage employment activities for applicable staff members, including but not limited to, personnel recruitment and selection, performance evaluations, training, compensation, discipline and termination, etc.
- Maintain knowledge of current and projected industry developments through continuous attention to industry periodicals and participation in relevant trade associations and organizations.
- Maintain accurate records for pertaining to department activities including, but not limited to, labor schedules, course maintenance, construction activities, equipment repair, safety meetings and activities, fertilizer and chemical applications and pest control practices.
- Assure the efficient and timely submission of all required operational, financial, budgetary and related reports.
- Perform other duties as appropriate.
- College degree required.
- Experience in the oversight of maintenance at multi-course facilities is preferred.
- Experience managing Bent Grass in the transition zone is highly desirable.
- 5 years applicable functional, supervisory and/or management experience in the golf industry.
- Demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, staff management.
- Demonstrated quality written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems; efficiently handle multiple duties under pressure with minimal supervision; work flexible hours as required including nights/weekends.
- Positive attitude, professional manner and appearance in all situations.
Two Assistant Superintendents, Mechanic, and up to 40 full and part time agronomy employees
Full-time, year-round, exempt.
KemperSports Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer