To all MVGCSA members
These are indeed trying times for everyone and every business, golf included! The rapid spread of the Coronavirus is changing our daily lives dramatically and will by all accounts, continue to dictate our "normal" activities for many more weeks, or months, to come.
The MV Executive Committee, along with several Board of Directors, have been engaged in phone conferencing lately to discuss and assess the direction going forward relative to not only the operation of this Association but also the voluntary adjustments in set-up and maintenance programs at area courses. Following is a partial list of practices being implemented now at numerous courses throughout the MVGCSA. Please keep in mind these points of interest are only suggested practices being performed to allow course to remain open yet significantly minimize the potential spread of the Coronavirus.
- Tee time intervals have been expanded - social distancing
- Cart use restricted on some courses - walking only
- Cart use limitations - only 1 person per cart - disinfectant cleaning after use
- No leagues - no shotgun starts - no events/tournaments
- Limit staff handling of bags
- No caddies
- Practice areas closed and no golf lessons
- Club houses are closed - 1 course bathroom open, cleaned several times per day
On the course...
- No ballwashers
- No bunker rakes
- No drink coolers - fountains shut off - players to bring own water bottles
- Raised cups on all greens - some have eliminated flag sticks entirely - if your putt hits the cup - consider it made!
- "Hole stuffers" have been implemented to allow easy pick up of golf ball
Please understand these are simply ideas and suggestions to assist in your operations to allow play on your course during these difficult times and most importantly minimize exposure to your players while on the course.
As for course employees, several course are staggering work shifts to reduce the number of staff at any given time. Efforts are made to minimize equipment sharing among the staff. If the weather forecast is questionable, most employees are instructed to simply stay home. And first on the list of everyone's shop duties are to maintain cleanliness within the shop, break rooms and bathrooms!
Fortunately, golf is one of the few sports players are able to engage in while still practicing necessary social distancing. During the next several weeks, this may well be one of the few social and physical activities folks can enjoy to shake the anxieties we are all experiencing. All in all these suggestions are just a small part of our concerted efforts to quell the spread of the Coronavirus while everyone try's to have some semblance of a "normal" life over the next several weeks.
If you would like to further discuss any of these mentioned suggestions, please shoot an email or call any member of the Board. This office will continue to email industry updates with attempts NOT to overload your inbox. Should you desire additional information about steps being taken throughout the golf industry in regards to this Coronavirus fight, check out the First Cut from the GCSAA or surf the National Golf Foundation website where numerous articles are there to review.
That's all for now. Please wash your hands frequently and stay healthy!